Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unchained01
    replied
    My ex father in law was a master chief in silent service and loved it bit you could be under for 8 weeks at a time Then resupply and hit port etc

Leave a comment:

• Purple pit
    replied
    Never heard of that, I'll have to look that up. At one time they were working on a nuclear powered bomber(steam powered jet turbine). Lucky for us they gave up on the project. Over all I think they have made a good/right choice when it comes to ships/subs. I sure wouldn't want to hear about a nuclear powered mine hunter(lol). Really an SSN is kind of pushing it though.

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    I'm surprised there are not nuclear destroyers and cruisers out there, I know there used to be a couple of them way back when, I guess the operating costs were too high?

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
    Carriers aren't bad. They get the best defense but they are also often the best target.

If any Nation actually sinks a carrier, well, they know the nukes would fly soo, don't worry. You will have to get used to hearing the steam pistons catching aircraft all night some nights.

If you are on a carrier you'll get a chance to see the sun daily. Subs you might be underwater for a LONG time.

Yeah, Navy boot camp isn't bad though I never went. I was prepped to go to Annapolis and graduate as an Officer. I should've takien the opportunity then, but I had reservations. Some things are just left in the past.
    I wasn't meaning that there was something wrong with the surface fleet, just that I prefer the idea of being on a sub. I hear the sub crews work together quite a bit more then the surface guys. the way I see it, the days below will just make the days above that much sweeter.

Leave a comment:

• Purple pit
    replied
    Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
    I'm an MM Nuke, I'll be studying here in Charlestown, SC for about the next year and a half, hopefully I can get on subs, I don't want to be on carriers...
    Wow that is something! I knew that you were a smart guy but damn! I watched the whole PBS show on carriers and that is not a life that I would want. These days I'd be more of a DD kind of guy, but not that junk ass DD1000. I call that the billion dollar super swamper.
    There is a new CVN on the way and a few SSN's. The SSBN's are too far off. Tell me what you get.

Leave a comment:

• TGP37
    replied
    I'm an MM Nuke, I'll be studying here in Charlestown, SC for about the next year and a half, hopefully I can get on subs, I don't want to be on carriers...
    Carriers aren't bad. They get the best defense but they are also often the best target.

If any Nation actually sinks a carrier, well, they know the nukes would fly soo, don't worry. You will have to get used to hearing the steam pistons catching aircraft all night some nights.

If you are on a carrier you'll get a chance to see the sun daily. Subs you might be underwater for a LONG time.

Yeah, Navy boot camp isn't bad though I never went. I was prepped to go to Annapolis and graduate as an Officer. I should've takien the opportunity then, but I had reservations. Some things are just left in the past.
    Last edited by TGP37; 07-22-2013, 07:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    Originally posted by Purple pit View Post
    So what job did they stick you with? SP?

Leave a comment:

• Purple pit
    replied
    So what job did they stick you with? SP?

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    lol, nah, I was only gone 2 months! I can't wait to get my car up here so I can get things tightened up and going.

Leave a comment:

• Purple pit
    replied
    About time you got back, did they make you do it twice?

Leave a comment:

• ericjon262
    replied
    Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
    I had an issue with my HTOB as well. Apparently it wouldn't engage the clutch fingers and just had a spring like feel to it. Bled it over and over again, even reverse bled. There was no air coming out any which way to Sunday.

Then I took it out (real PITA) and bled the system off the block, assembled of course. I found the HTOB needed primed off block and it worked flawlessly ever since.

Of course the puddle isn't a positive sign either.......

Good Luck on your (is it your 1st?) sea duty!
    just boot camp, done now.

Now, I just need to see about getting the car(and some tools) up here to Charlestown so I can get back to work.

shouldn't take to much work to get it moving.

BTW, Navy boot camp is pretty easy...

Leave a comment:

• NateD4
    replied
    If I was doing a NStar I'd go for the STS-V engine (4.4L and 440 HP). Heck with Turbos when GM made a factory supercharger...

I'm doing a 3.9/3.5 swap with a turbo and having a similar packaging issue. Fortunately I haven't had to redo too many things.. BUT thats the name of the game with trial and error. Eventually it'll be done.

As to the HTOB issue its good to know I haven't gotten to the point of priming my system yet but when I do at least I'll have an idea what to look for. I have however run into a different issue with my dual disc clutch (Tilton) the HTOB doesn't have the same bearing diameter.. I'll be removing the stock HTOB and buying a Tilton and making an adapter. What isn't to great is that GM has put the input shaft seal of the F40 as part of the HTOB assembly. Fortunately my measurements of the seal show it to be 1.125" So a seal should be nearly off the shelf. If anyone else is considering the F40 and a Quatermaster/Tilton etc.. button clutch they'll run into the same issue.

Leave a comment:

• TGP37
    replied
    got the engine back, finished the final assembly, installed the flywheel and clutch, installed a new HTOB, bled the master, bled the line, started bleeding the HTOB, and apparently, it's defective. there's a nice little puddle of hydraulic fluid dripping out from the bellhousing. never got a pedal at all... my machinist did great job on the engine, but he took way to damn long. if I had the engine back, even last week, I would have had time to deal with issues like this.

oh well, life happens. I'll get a new clutch (clutchnet stage 4) and HTOB(GM) on order before I leave tomorrow, and when I get back, I'll fix it.

it'll take a little longer then planned, but I'll make it happen still....
    I had an issue with my HTOB as well. Apparently it wouldn't engage the clutch fingers and just had a spring like feel to it. Bled it over and over again, even reverse bled. There was no air coming out any which way to Sunday.

Then I took it out (real PITA) and bled the system off the block, assembled of course. I found the HTOB needed primed off block and it worked flawlessly ever since.

Of course the puddle isn't a positive sign either.......

Good Luck on your (is it your 1st?) sea duty!

Leave a comment:

• 1988GTU
    replied
    Sux but what can ya do

See ya in a few!

Leave a comment:

• Purple pit
    replied
    Damn the luck.
    See you in a few months.

Leave a comment:

Working...