3400 Swap into 88 Grand Prix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400 Swap into 88 Grand Prix

I have a 88 GP that previously had a 2.8 that received a 3400 top swap and a TGP turbo. Vid below before exhaust was finished.

I upgraded the turbo and also had an upgraded Engle cam that went round. Rather than rebuild that engine, I opted to swap a 3400. I created a post in 2012 about it with a poll.

I decided to go 3400 turbo, but I had little time to work on it. My house at the time had a garage, but all my real tools were still in my parent's house. I made a deal with my dad and wife and gave him the car, and it's been in his garage ever since. We work on it every now and then, but it's pretty much sat for the last 11 years. I suddenly have the itch to finish it (my mom is also threatening to junk it) and I need some help sorting it out.

I'm having trouble with mounts. First, the original aluminum dog bone mount on the passenger side also held the AC compressor. This definitely will not fit the 3400 block. Is there something that will work, from like a 94 3100 w-body, or am I looking at building something custom? I don't really want to switch to the new style compressor.

Two, the horseshoe motor mount doesn't bolt up. The beefier 3400 oil pan hits. Is there a new style horseshoe that the hydraulic mount bolts to for a w-body that I can grab? After those are sorted, I can drop the engine back in the car. I barely have the time to install, and definitely don't have the time to Fab, so off the shelf options are preferred.

I also tried searching these topics, but most websites that were linked have long since shut down. If anyone has a link to a new version of the domesticcrew 3x00 swap documentation I'd be especially grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

w-body.com might have some information on that swap. Domestic crew were J body only as far as I know, which is a different mount. I was going to use the 3.4 DOHC mounting setup but thats only for a 91+ subframe. You could cut the compressor mount where it goes up around the exhaust to the head so the exhaust can go through there but I don't know about using the dogbones. Haven't done the swap, just looked at it for a bit many years ago.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Working...
    X