In Depth: Crankshafts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Depth: Crankshafts

I have a 2.8 FWD crank and a 3.4 DOHC crank. I need some details explained since I dont know what is a counter weight vs anything else. It is interesting to see the DOHC is knife edged though compared to the 2.8 crank. Here are some pics that I have so far. What I need is a good explanation of the crank's job in the engine (i can probably think of something but I like as much input as possible) as well as explaining the differences between the cranks in our engines. Chris has 3.1 crank pics but I gotta hunt them down.

Anyway, here are the pics I have.

Thumbs posted, go here for full size pics.

DOHC
    DOHC
    DOHC
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Odd that this is from a Navy publication, but here is a pretty good explanation of crankshaft terms, theory, oiling, etc...

Its several pages long, so you need to click NEXT a few times. It looks like there is a bunch more info as well on other aspects of the engine.
    26+6=1

Comment

Ill have to bookmark that and read it. Ill link to it though once the section is up. Time to hunt through Chris's cd of pics for the crank pics.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

can we use the 3.4 dohc crank in our 2.8 blocks with the rods and pistons

Comment

As far as I know, it all swaps right in. If a 2.8 crank works in a DOHC, I think it works the other way around
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

My machinist claims that the 3.1 crank is the same crank as the DOHC crank. This seems logical but I have begun to wonder if he just lostg my crank. DOes anyone know if they are they same? Are they made of the same material? Do they have the same part number?

Comment

Different part number, same casting number. Not sure on metal used, or anything GM did to them after they were cast.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

The knife edge is very aparent in thoes pictures. If you look on the DOHC Crank you can see the dual beveled edge on the leading side of the crank counter weight. This probabally helps reduce turbulance and would also relieve stresses in the metal.

The 2.8L Crank does not have this. Now did 3.1L and 3.4L (pushrods) also have this knife edge design?
                1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

both sides have this knife edge to them trailing and leading. The 3.x and 3x00 have this design as well.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

i don't remember seeing the knife edge on my 94 3100 crank. btw, does anyone want my 3100 busted crank?
                    1994 Oldsmobile Achieva (2002 3100 SFI)
                    Homemade ram-effect CAI
                    K&N cylinder filter
                    Poorboy Lowering Kit
                    Front STB

Comment

Give it to Ben so we can get some pictures!
                      -Brad-
                      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                      sigpic
                      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

i will, if i ever see him
                        1994 Oldsmobile Achieva (2002 3100 SFI)
                        Homemade ram-effect CAI
                        K&N cylinder filter
                        Poorboy Lowering Kit
                        Front STB

Comment

I've had a 3.1 MPFI crank side by side with a 3.4 DOHC crank, and from what I remember, they LOOK identical. Casting numbers were definately the same. I took pics, but I'll have to dig them up again.

The 3.4 crank was for a buddy. He converted his 2.8 Camaro motor to a 3.1 using the 3.4 crank and H562CP pistons.
                          I'll see if I can find the pics and post them here.
                          Franz

1990 Z24-NA 3.1L
                          14.72 @ 92.24 MPH
                          14.89 @ 94.92 MPH

The boost is coming....

Comment

Well, I just pulled a crank out of an 01 3100 for a guy, so I'll take some pics to put up on the site, as well as get some numbers off of it.
                            -Brad-
                            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                            sigpic
                            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

you should weight the two cranks to see if theres a difference

3.4 pushrod crank is edged(and it says 3.1 on on of the counterweights if I remeber right)

when I take that gen 2 2.8 apart I'll see if its crank is edged or flat
                              1995 camaro 3.4 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                              X