Cooling System Flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling System Flush

The over the counter cleaners available at any FLAPS generally have fallen short (IMHO) in their ability to safely remove scale and deposits from an engine's coolong system. I have used various brands over the years with poor results at best and many dollars wasted in the effort to keep cooling systems working well.
    Having owned vehicles with aluminum radiators, heads and blocks and borrowing from our friends at Mercedes Benz I have come up with a safe and expeditious cleaning regimen. The techniques is suspiciously easy and I have found in limited testing (6 vehicles) that it will not damage the metallic components on an engine.
    Again, Mercedes Benz cleaners use the same ingredient, I find buying off the web in bulk to be much lower cost.

materials needed:

10-15 gallons distilled water
    3-5 lbs citric acid, use food grade citric acid.

Steps:

Engine cold
    1. Open heater control valve to max temp, remove lower radiator hose and heater core line, drain old coolant into container and discard.
    2. Reinstall hoses and refill with distilled water. (if your engine has a specific air bleed requirement perform it per the manufacturer)
    3. Operate the engine for 3-5 minutes at high idle.
    4. Let cool at least 10 minutes then drain coolant. Do no be impatient, if you dump the coolant too soon you can warp components due to heat soak effects.
    5.Using a plastic container mix citric acid with water to form a thick soup.
    Pour the "soup" into the radiator filler. On a badly scaled system go heavier on the citric acid.
    6. Refill the unit with distilled water. Bleed air as before, operate engine to purge air properly (again per mfgs directions) then let the engine fast idle for 45-90 minutes. If you have a tachometer 1500 RPM is OK. Keep an eye on the temp gauge to make sure that your unit does not over heat during this procedure. On a badly scaled 4 cylinder engine I've found the process takes a little over an 45 minutes. The indicator I used was the temperature gauge falling (engine getting cooler) as the radiator efficiency increased.
    7. Drain, refill with distilled water, purge air and operate the system as described under items 2, 3 and 4 at least three times minimum. Unless you have very soft water resist the temptation to use a garden hose for this step.
    8. Refill with the correct mixture of your anti-freeze of choice making sure to purge air as required. Operate the engine for a few minutes to check for leaks.
    9. Take a last look to make sure that lines and connections are tight and all tools accounted for before you close the hood.

In my opinion if you are converting from Dex-cool to another type of anti-freeze this technique removes desposits very well and presents the best possible set of conditions for a successful switch over.

This technique has worked well for me, it is up to you to determine if the procedure can be safely carried out on your vehicles' cooling system. I cannot be held responsible if your system develops leaks. I have found that some pinholes developed on the radiator in one of my vehicles that the earlier scale masked.

Good Luck
    Andromeda
    99 Lumina LS 3100
    Andromeda451
    Phx, AZ
    99 Lumina LS
    92 Jetta GLi16V
    78 Porsche 924

I have never heard of this. That sounds like a pretty long time to have the car run at a fast idle though. If my cooling system was that bad, id probably pull the radiator out and fill/seal it. Would the citric acid method work for days at room temp? How about if I flip it around once in a while?

What are the ingredients/chemicals used in most radiator flushes?
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Cooling system flush

Yes, the speed of the chemical reaction is governed by the temperature and concentration of the mixture. At cool or cold temperatures (below 100F) the time required would be days but one would still need to circulate the coolant periodically to make sure all the gunk was removed. Fast idle at 1500 RPMs doesn't seem to be a terribly a high rate of speed, at least my 3100 didn't seem to complain. On one occasion I have just let the vehicle idle with good results, just took a bit longer, hence the elevated idle. The old "iron engine" cleaners had phosphoric acid in them but that would seriously damage todays engine alloys. One of the major brands lists Oxalic acid as the main ingredient in their product as of 2007. This ingredient could be fatal if ingested while citric acid is safe even if ingested in relatively large quantities. Todays quickie flushes are not much more than a good soap solution with a benign PH level (ie: neutral) . I was at an MB dealer and found that their recommended flush was citric acid and did a bit of experimentation. I live in Arizona and the one thing we have is HARD water (almost chewy). The citric acid does wonders on the lime and calcium scale we get here w/o eroding the aluminum.

Regards,
      Andromeda
      Andromeda451
      Phx, AZ
      99 Lumina LS
      92 Jetta GLi16V
      78 Porsche 924

Comment

Yeah thats quite a long time to just let it sit and idle at 1500 rpm!!!

Comment

Cooling system flush followup

Typical cleaners use Oxalic acid as their main ingredient. Oxalic acid is poisonous to humans and relatively nasty stuff as it's MSDS sheet will attest. Citric acid by comparison is used to add tartness to candy and is also used in canning and baking, so even in large quantites it isn't poisonous. I specified "food grade" to make sure that it is pure citric acid with no adulterants. 1500 RPM should be zero issue on an engine as it's 25% of the typical redline value. One could use citrci acid at cold (room temp) but it would take a long time to work and would still need to be circulated to get at all the nasties in the cooling system.

regards,
          Andromeda
          Andromeda451
          Phx, AZ
          99 Lumina LS
          92 Jetta GLi16V
          78 Porsche 924

Comment

Working...
          X