Yes another timing belt ???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • montecarloz
    • Jun 2005
    • 6

    #1

    Yes another timing belt ???

    I replaced the timing belt on my 95 Monte Z34 about a month and a half ago. After about a month I checked it out, found black "hairs" and pimples of rubber on the smooth side of the belt. It also had some slight wear on the front edge and a very slight cupping across the width of the belt. The only thing I didn't change was the actuator. Thinking maybe the belt was too loose or too tight I bought a new one along with a new belt and installed them. My questions are: 1. Are you supposed to preload the belt with 12-15 ft lbs of tension (which I read somewhere) or let the actuator tension the belt itself? 2. I ran the engine with the timing belt cover off and saw some tiny bits of black stuff (I assume it's rubber) here and there, is this normal for a new belt until it breaks in? Thanks for any help with this.
  • series8217
    • Dec 2004
    • 387

    #2
    You have to preload the belt tension!!! This must be done BEFORE setting the timing or your timing will be off.

    Comment

    • SappySE107
      WOT-Tech
      • Oct 2003
      • 13525

      #3
      Yup, you need to use a 3/8" extension and a 3/8"wrench to preload the tensioner by pulling up on the pulley it self. The black hairs are normal, and the junk collecting on the smooth side is normal. I try to keep mine inspected and decently cleaned, but I have seen belts in much worse condition than what you describe still working. Its designed to take that kind of punishment. However, the tension must be set or your timing will start moving on you almost immediately.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

      Comment

      Working...