Normally I would do something like this myself, but I'm down at school and don't have access to any tools. What i'm having done is having my radiator, lower and upper coolant hose, and my thermo changed out by a local shop. They quoted me $400 with the cost of the rad being $134. Does this seem high? By the way this is on a 1988 Olds cutlass with the 2.5
Am I being screwed?
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
RE: Am I being screwed?
Buy the tools, you don't need that many to do this job. Thats insane though they gotta make money. I don't know the w body 2.5 setup that well, but if its anything like a normal 2.5 in a calais and the w body is setup like a 3.1, this is an easy as hell job.Ben
60DegreeV6.com
WOT-Tech.com
-
Rad. $134, 2 hoses, maybe $30, T-Stat with Gasket, $8, 2 gal A-Freeze,$20, 4 hose clamps$4, misc,(They always add that),$20.=$216 Plus 4 hours book labor @$40/hr.,=$376. Labor may be higher in your area. Sounds about right for a shop. I'd do it for 50 bux. You buy the parts, No clamps and no misc.
If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
sigpic
Comment
-
That estimate is on the high side but its in the area. Techs got to eat too.1992 Chevrolet S10
2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed
Comment
-
I haven't really had anything done in a shop in about 15 yrs. Except my tranny, and that was from a friend, so it doesn't count. Guess I'm a little behind. Or ahead, depends on how you look at it.
If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
sigpic
Comment
-
Yeah Im certified for marine tech and the average shop rates go from 40 - 75 per hour. Of course thats flat rate hours.1992 Chevrolet S10
2.8 v6 tbi 5 speed
Comment
-
Its an easy job to do on your own Eric. Just takes some simple hand tools. not that hard at all.
Our Dealership shop rate is 105$ per hour, If that sounds expensive, the Chev dealer across the street is 120$ per hour.Colin
92 Sunbird GT, 3200 Hybrid 13.99@ 95.22 (2004)
90 Eagle Talon TSi AWD 10.54 @ 129mph.
Comment


Comment