From an auto car to a 5 speed car...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Spankz
    • Nov 2004
    • 2

    #1

    From an auto car to a 5 speed car...

    Hi, I'm looking at taking the engine out of my 1992 Lumina Z34, which the auto tranny crapped out in, than dropping it into another 1992 Lumina Z34 with a good 5 speed. My thoughts are it should be a straight drop in, I am aware that the auto's engine has a lower compression ratio and therefore is not as powerful. Is there any other differences besides the compression ratio? Will it be a straight drop in? Thanks!
    -1992 Lumina Z34
    -1992 \'Zuki GSX600F
    -1977 GMC 4x4 400SBC lifted
    -1996 Ski-Doo FIII
  • TheProfessor
    • Oct 2003
    • 869

    #2
    it should be a straight drop in
    I Like V660s
    Does Chevy make beer
    ~Jayme~

    Comment

    • SappySE107
      WOT-Tech
      • Oct 2003
      • 13525

      #3
      Swap the flywheel on...thats the only difference other than compression. You won't even miss the .25 compression with the 5 speed anyway.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

      Comment

      • TheProfessor
        • Oct 2003
        • 869

        #4
        oh man thats right yeah the flywheel
        i knew i was forgetting something
        I Like V660s
        Does Chevy make beer
        ~Jayme~

        Comment

        • Spankz
          • Nov 2004
          • 2

          #5
          How about the PCM? What is the PCM!? I was told that on another forum... I'm relatively new to this whole front wheel drive, fuel injected, computer thing. My experience has always been with older carbed GM V8s. So this is all kind of new to me, but I'm learning... Thanks again!
          -1992 Lumina Z34
          -1992 \'Zuki GSX600F
          -1977 GMC 4x4 400SBC lifted
          -1996 Ski-Doo FIII

          Comment

          • SappySE107
            WOT-Tech
            • Oct 2003
            • 13525

            #6
            Its the same computer, so just use the manual chip in the ECM and it will be fine.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

            Comment

            Working...