W-Body Suspension Upgrades

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    And be safe about it. Coil springs have enough energy stored in them to take your head of if you aren't careful.

    Leave a comment:


  • packardbell
    replied
    Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
    The bearings are under the springs so your front suspension comes completely apart. I bought new plates with bearings installed by Monroe from rock auto last year, haven't swapped them out, but the car is still in about 1,000 pieces.
    sounds like a big job to tackle to remove the driveshafts, brakes (again) to drop the lower control arm, then the strut assembly.

    Leave a comment:


  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    The bearings are under the springs so your front suspension comes completely apart. I bought new plates with bearings installed by Monroe from rock auto last year, haven't swapped them out, but the car is still in about 1,000 pieces.

    Leave a comment:


  • packardbell
    replied
    Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
    Sway bar bushings will only squeak with up and down travel of the suspension. When stopped the suspension is not traveling so my best guess would be strut mounts or spring bearings. Tie rod ends and ball joints do not tend to squeak. They just tend to make a knocking sound as the fit of the ball gets looser and looser in the socket.
    how hard is it to replace the strut mounts and strut bearings? I replaced the shocks a few years back by using the tool and just replacing the cartridge.

    Leave a comment:


  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    Sway bar bushings will only squeak with up and down travel of the suspension. When stopped the suspension is not traveling so my best guess would be strut mounts or spring bearings. Tie rod ends and ball joints do not tend to squeak. They just tend to make a knocking sound as the fit of the ball gets looser and looser in the socket.

    Leave a comment:


  • packardbell
    replied
    Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
    Energy suspension greasable urethane sway bar mounts. Just be sure to grease them every year or prepare to hear them squeak over bumps when the grease runs out.
    I noticed when fully stopped and I turn the steering wheel full right or left there is a creaking noise. Could that be them bushing? I checked today I have some tie rod end play on the driver's side. could that make the creaking noise?

    Leave a comment:


  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    Energy suspension greasable urethane sway bar mounts. Just be sure to grease them every year or prepare to hear them squeak over bumps when the grease runs out.

    Leave a comment:


  • packardbell
    replied
    my front sway bar on the cutlass seems to have some wear, what is the best upgrade for bushing on a stocker with FE3?

    Leave a comment:


  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    This really isn't a suspension upgrade I found, more like a chassis upgrade. Very interesting, none the less...

    Click image for larger version

Name:	lumina roll cage screenie.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	304.0 KB
ID:	377750

    Leave a comment:


  • unchained01
    replied
    you might want to check the specs on these

    these maybe very close and they come in red also

    Leave a comment:


  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    My stock arms had bushings from RSM. I haven't installed them yet so I could measure the bushings if you like.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

    Leave a comment:


  • onefastV6
    replied
    What poly bushings did you use in the Dorman trailing arms?
    I am debating if I should order the BMR trailing arms or if I should just get the Dorman.

    I put a addco 639 rear swaybar on the 2011 Impala and the change in handling is amazing.
    I did have to grind down the split lock retainers that attach to the bar, but otherwise a quick and clean install.

    At some point I will probably upgrade my front swaybar to the Dorman 927-100.
    I hear they are excellent quality and that they are a solid bar. It is also slightly larger than my stock front bar.
    Last edited by onefastV6; 08-12-2012, 09:36 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
    I went looking for a pair of these last night and came up with the bad news that they aren't made anymore.

    I did, however, find some stock replacements made by Dorman that have 1/2" x 1/2" tube steel instead of the crappy U channel that stock uses. The Dormans do use rubber bushings though.

    I bought a set today (~$50 for the pair) and plan on removing the rubber ones and replacing them with the poly bushings in my stock ones when I start wrenching on the 92.

    I had them look up a set for a 96 Monte Z34.



    http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPCHASAMS_____
    The poly bushings for stock trailing arms DO INDEED fit the Dorman tailing arms.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    Originally posted by HayesPerformance View Post
    Trailing Arms:

    GM Tubular Trailing Arms #12498649
    (Comes as a pair, complete with bushings)
    (Fit 1st and 2nd Gen. W-bodies)
    I went looking for a pair of these last night and came up with the bad news that they aren't made anymore.

    I did, however, find some stock replacements made by Dorman that have 1/2" x 1/2" tube steel instead of the crappy U channel that stock uses. The Dormans do use rubber bushings though.

    I bought a set today (~$50 for the pair) and plan on removing the rubber ones and replacing them with the poly bushings in my stock ones when I start wrenching on the 92.

    I had them look up a set for a 96 Monte Z34.



    Leave a comment:


  • ghrarhg
    replied
    cutlass supreme FE3, the addco bar 7/8" listed on the first page works for first gens like ours. Also, do you already purchase the 34mm front? FE3 in 88 only had a 30mm bar IIRC.
    Last edited by ghrarhg; 02-25-2009, 12:07 PM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...