I have a nice chunk in a 284 bell housing I need to patch up, anybody done this by oxy-acetaline before? When looking for a plate to fill it up with, what grade of aluminum should I look for? I'm pretty good with the torch (thinwall exhaust to a 1/2" flange
) so if its possible I want to do it myself.
anybody gas weld aluminum before?
Collapse
X
-
Got a pic of the chunk you are dealing with? Jon can probably find out where he works or where one of his friends works (if david doesn't know).Ben
60DegreeV6.com
WOT-Tech.com
-
-
Gas welding aluminum is a pain. You have to use flux to prevent oxidation of the weld, amd it usually comes out fairly brittle,andprone to cracking and breaking. Now, Idon't knowif you'll be able to take a sheet of aluminum and weld to it either, because of the difference in quality between the two. If you had access to a TIG welder, your results will be much better and possibly be able to weld the sheet aluminum to the cast, because the AC current will pull the oxidation and the other junk out of the cast while welding.
Comment
-
i remembered that it was the starter and not a random chunk after I posted. So that pic makes it look worse than it is? Thats cool, I would have said "JB WELD" otherwise
Ben
60DegreeV6.com
WOT-Tech.com
Comment

Comment