3.4 Frankenbird Won't Start!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • tkoforpresident
    replied
    here's the second log

    i thought it seemed to idle healthier than ever before (at least audibly) but it did still shoot out lots of gas out the tail pipes (or condensation). the rpms stayed nice and tight and didn't go up and down too much so i was happy with that.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by tkoforpresident; 03-07-2010, 09:14 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • tkoforpresident
    replied
    i mean HERE it is...

    the car actually started and ran the whole time so i have a nice long one for you guys.

    It would appear that replacing the spark plugs really helped out, and since i actually only replaced 4 this last time (please don't yell at me) i'm going to do the last two next time i go over.

    A few things to note about the log:

    It was idling high for a while and then settled down but would never stay right at one spot. It would fluctuate a good deal now and then.

    There was more exhaust smoke than i'd ever seen in my life. It looked like i just sea foamed it!

    I let it get up to operating temps before i ended the log.

    And i set the fuel psi to ~ 42 while it was running (i THINK thats what i was told to put it at)


    I'm really happy that it started and stayed on this time. We are on the right path!
    Attached Files

    Leave a comment:


  • robertisaar
    replied
    no attachments???

    but 'grats on getting it to work.

    Leave a comment:


  • tkoforpresident
    replied
    heres the log

    Leave a comment:


  • tkoforpresident
    replied
    gonna go over today and try to get that data log for you guys.

    hope for the best!

    Leave a comment:


  • tkoforpresident
    replied
    Yup, just as i thought (and you John ), I didn't have the Moates USB driver installed. (don't know why, i could have sworn i installed it earlier)




    no ones fault but my own.



    all aboard the fail boat.

    Leave a comment:


  • tkoforpresident
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    I got that when I first started when I hadn't downloaded and installed the USB driver.

    Mine is COM port 4
    See, thats what i was thinking. Perhaps i hadn't downloaded the driver like i thought.

    I'm going to go right now to Moates.net and download the usb driver and see if that works.

    Leave a comment:


  • ForcedFirebird
    replied
    I got that when I first started when I hadn't downloaded and installed the USB driver.

    Mine is COM port 4

    Leave a comment:


  • robertisaar
    replied
    if you're absolutely sure you have the COM port settings correct, then it may be time to contact mark mansur and figure out all of the possible reasons it could give that error. the only time i've ever seen it is if my cable wasn't plugged in, was plugged in but the connection was poor and would constantly connect/disconnect(or at least make the noises like it was), or i had port settings wrong.

    Leave a comment:


  • tkoforpresident
    replied
    I'm told this is a Com port # issue but I found that it was com # 2, set it in TP's settings, and it still wouldn't connect =(

    Leave a comment:


  • tkoforpresident
    replied
    well, I failed miserably again.



    But I took it a lot better than usual. This whole situation with my friend has put things more in perspective and I've realized it's a blessing to be able to work on this crappy car, failing more often than succeeding, some times an absolute utter and complete failure, yet having the OPPORTUNITY to fail is precious while I am still alive.


    for the good news:

    I changed out the spark plugs, they were black as satan's heart and some were even a little wet and reeked of gasoline.

    for the bad news:

    I couldn't get a datalog (i was using v4). I was sure i had everything all set to go but as soon as i would hit "connect to ECM" I would get a "Could not initialize port" error code. I found through MUCH searching (this is windows 7 and it's not like Vista in this regard) that the com port was # 2 so i entered that in the tp preferences and yet i kept getting the same message. I startedt to think that maybe i needed drivers installed (for the aldl calbe) that i might not have had so i looked in my tuning folder and there was one driver setup so i installed it and it still gave me the same error code, even after restarting the laptop etc.

    I had no wireless networks to connect to so i couldn't look for more drivers, and either way i do not know if that is even the exact reason but since everything else looked quite in order i'm thinking that might be it.

    Thoughts?

    Max

    Leave a comment:


  • tkoforpresident
    replied
    yes of course.

    Leave a comment:


  • pocket-rocket
    replied
    I think the best news here is your friend is ok, but you being able to monkey with your car again is a good thing too

    Leave a comment:


  • tkoforpresident
    replied
    Good news. My buddy is on the mend and doing well so i have no reserve about going over and getting a data log!

    Gonna go over tonite, change the plugs and then log like we talked about.

    Leave a comment:


  • tkoforpresident
    replied
    I've been informed that he's out of surgery and as long as all goes well he will be held at the hospital for a few weeks of observation.

    Leave a comment:

Working...