I have a 97 grand am gt with a 3.1, the car has 181,000 miles. The car leaks coolant out the exhaust and produces white smoke. The car idles fine. Is the problem the head gaskets? If so how hard are the head gaskets to replace. I know I will have to replace intake manifold gaskets, exhaust gaskets, and the egr gaskets. I already found the torque specs for the 3.1 on this site (thanks). Also can I rent a tool for torquing to the proper degree (90*). Any help will be great. Thanks.
coolant leaking out the exhaust, replace head gaskets?
Collapse
X
-
Tags: None
-
-
Yes.Originally posted by kill_them_allThe correct torque specs for this engine would be the 3x00 file correct? Thanks
Head gaskets arent too bad, just take stuff off, but it back on the way you found itRobby Whitesell
2006 Pontiac G6 GT
1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment
-
should I use rtv sealer on the heads?
Also I will have to replace the intake gaskets and exhaust gaskets correct and will I have to retime the engine? Thanks.
Comment
-
NO!! NO SEALANT on head gaskets!!! Bad! VERY BAD! They should have their own if needed. If you add any sealant to a head gasket, you deplete your torque value and take a serious chance of clogging a return hole or coolant passage. Do it according to the book.If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
sigpic
Comment
-
it might only be the lower intake gasket, i've seen this many times. but if your going that far it's only a little further for the heads.2002 Pontiac GrandAm GT1
3400 v6
TOG headers
RSM 62MM T-body
FFP underdrive pulley
GRANATELLI MAF
Ported upper intake
MSD DIS 4 ignition box
MSD Wires and coils (pending)
Venom high flow fuel pump (pending)
Comment
-
Project, will I be able to tell if its the lim before I take off the heads????
Also will I have to re time my engine?
Thanks.
Comment
-
You will not have to re-time it. Its a pushrod engine, so you won't be touching any cams or anything during this project.
Shawn90 Grand Prix STE 3.1 Intercooled Turbo-3100 Hybrid
K&N, Magnaflows, No Cat, Chip, FFP Pulley, H260 Cam, No EGR.
99 Grand Prix GT
K&N|No Cat/ubend/res|160 tstat|shift kit|UD ALT & WP Pulleys|XP Cam|Stage 2 I/C|Pacesetters|MPS|2.9"|Custom PCM
12.665 @ 110.44 w/2.018 60', STREET TIRES, PUMP GAS!
Comment
-
Thanks, Shawn.
Also does anyone know the name of the tool used for torquing a bolt to a certain degree (ie- head bolts 90 degree turn).
Thanks.
Comment
-
You use a torque wrench to torque to the proper spec. Then, to go to the 90 degree, you continue to turn the torque wrench 90 degrees past when it clicks (hits the specified torque). There really is no special tool.-Brad-
89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog
Comment
-
Thanks bszopi, I am really appreciating the support guys and or gals.
Is there anything I should be aware of when before I preform these tasks?
I know it will take time, I have the time (about a week), and I can just let it sit in my yard till I get it done.
Comment
-
I marked the bolts with paint then turned them 902004 Grand Am GT 3400 ... I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability.(Ron White)
Comment
-
Anyone in Illinois want to come help me??? nah, I'll be fine.
Do I have to seal the upper and lower intake gaskets with anything?
Comment
-
Nope. No sealant. Where you at ?2004 Grand Am GT 3400 ... I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability.(Ron White)
Comment

Comment