I need pics of a 60* rod

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ForcedFirebird
    Live life 3.7mi at a time
    • Jan 2007
    • 4555

    #16
    Ah yes, what was I thinking? The reason ofr the odd fire in the 1st place is the 120* crank throws and 90* bank angle.

    John,

    What about having the 3500 crank ground to the 327 5.7" rods, or were you looking to keep the larger rod pins? I haven't heard of anybody managing to break a rod pin with the iron cranks, now that you have a forging, I don't see you having problems.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

    Comment

    • Driver_10
      • Jul 2006
      • 487

      #17
      Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      Ah yes, what was I thinking? The reason ofr the odd fire in the 1st place is the 120* crank throws and 90* bank angle.

      John,

      What about having the 3500 crank ground to the 327 5.7" rods, or were you looking to keep the larger rod pins? I haven't heard of anybody managing to break a rod pin with the iron cranks, now that you have a forging, I don't see you having problems.

      I may look into SBC "big pin" con-rods and a reground crank. That seems to be my only viable option. (I believe that thats a 2.150 or a 2.200 crank-bore)
      Took a break from working on the car. Got some better tools, got a better shop, got a better job... Its time to burn metal!

      Comment

      • ForcedFirebird
        Live life 3.7mi at a time
        • Jan 2007
        • 4555

        #18
        Originally posted by Driver_10 View Post
        I may look into SBC "big pin" con-rods and a reground crank. That seems to be my only viable option. (I believe that thats a 2.150 or a 2.200 crank-bore)
        Sounds good. You can get them on the cheap, Eagle H-beams go for less than $400/set of 8. You will probably just have to shave the big ends equally (both sides) for width.

        Here's an ebay site with them less than the Eagles and seem to have a lot of options for length and pin sizes...

        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CAT-C...spagenameZWDVW
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

        Comment

        • project89
          • Sep 2008
          • 247

          #19
          we had a customer build a nitrous motor with a set of ebay rods, he never had an issue with them and there cheap.

          im not sure what place he got them from on ebay but i can ask him if u like

          they were something liek this 250-300 bucks for the set
          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-CH...QQcmdZViewItem
          #1 1989 RS - THE L98 AND LT1/LS1 KILLER
          1LE SUSPENSION AND BRAKE SWAP,3.1L V6 8.5-1 CR, LIGHTENED CRANK,KB COATED PISTONS, CUSTOM 268/272 DUR CAM, CNC'ED HEADS, PORTED INTAKE,CUSTOM TURBO KIT W/ 67MM TURBO(AKA TO4R/Z) 28 PSI, TCI STREETFIGHTER 700R4 W/ TCI 4,500 STALL,ALL RUN BY A MEGASQUIRT ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

          #2 95 granprix 3100 all stock for now
          ported heads and cam comming soon, megasquirt ems and turbo down the road

          Comment

          • MidnightriderZ24
            • Jan 2005
            • 699

            #20
            heres the best picture i have.. i had to machine mine to fit the 60* crank..
            A private space for your group's photos and videos. Share, react, and relive moments together. Available on iOS, Android, and desktop. Free for new sign-ups.
            [SIGPIC]
            12.268@117... 11's to come!
            turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
            ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

            Comment

            • project89
              • Sep 2008
              • 247

              #21
              Originally posted by MidnightriderZ24 View Post
              heres the best picture i have.. i had to machine mine to fit the 60* crank..
              http://s433.photobucket.com/albums/q...00BUILD006.jpg
              ebay rods?
              #1 1989 RS - THE L98 AND LT1/LS1 KILLER
              1LE SUSPENSION AND BRAKE SWAP,3.1L V6 8.5-1 CR, LIGHTENED CRANK,KB COATED PISTONS, CUSTOM 268/272 DUR CAM, CNC'ED HEADS, PORTED INTAKE,CUSTOM TURBO KIT W/ 67MM TURBO(AKA TO4R/Z) 28 PSI, TCI STREETFIGHTER 700R4 W/ TCI 4,500 STALL,ALL RUN BY A MEGASQUIRT ENGINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

              #2 95 granprix 3100 all stock for now
              ported heads and cam comming soon, megasquirt ems and turbo down the road

              Comment

              • Driver_10
                • Jul 2006
                • 487

                #22
                Does anyone know the exact diameter of the 3500 crank-pin?
                Took a break from working on the car. Got some better tools, got a better shop, got a better job... Its time to burn metal!

                Comment

                • ForcedFirebird
                  Live life 3.7mi at a time
                  • Jan 2007
                  • 4555

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Driver_10 View Post
                  Does anyone know the exact diameter of the 3500 crank-pin?
                  2.249"
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

                  Comment

                  • Driver_10
                    • Jul 2006
                    • 487

                    #24
                    Then the crank would need to be ground down by .0290 or so to accomodate "large-journel" SBC rods.

                    Seems like a lot of meat to skin off of that crank

                    I guess Ill go and buy a new set of rods as soon as I get off this post.
                    Took a break from working on the car. Got some better tools, got a better shop, got a better job... Its time to burn metal!

                    Comment

                    • ForcedFirebird
                      Live life 3.7mi at a time
                      • Jan 2007
                      • 4555

                      #25
                      Originally posted by Driver_10 View Post
                      Then the crank would need to be ground down by .0290 or so to accomodate "large-journel" SBC rods.

                      Seems like a lot of meat to skin off of that crank

                      I guess Ill go and buy a new set of rods as soon as I get off this post.
                      I don't feel that it's too much since you can get most bearings up to .030" oversized.
                      Links:
                      WOT-Tech.com
                      FaceBook
                      Instagram

                      Comment

                      • defrag010
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 1

                        #26
                        "large" SBC is 2.1, so that would only need rougly .150" smaller rod pins, "small" SBC is 2.0 ..

                        in the world of 4.3's (which have the same rod pin diameter as 3500's), turning the rods down to large SBC is a very common thing, for using off the shelf 350 rods.
                        Last edited by defrag010; 12-08-2008, 11:15 PM.

                        Comment

                        Working...