rocker arms...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ericjon262
    build it.
    • Jan 2010
    • 2218

    #16
    conversion studs are readily available, and my understanding is the 3.1 MPFI guida will work on the 3x00, just not the 3500.

    Free Shipping - COMP Cams Hi-Tech Rocker Arm Studs with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Rocker Arm Studs at Summit Racing.


    the other thing to take into account is the fulcrum diameter, it has to match the 3x00 rockers for the pedestals to work.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

    Comment

    • onefastV6
      • Sep 2005
      • 880

      #17
      Have you had a chance to test mount a rocker on a cylinder head?
      Aside from the pedestal difference, I believe the push rod length on the LZ motors may be different.

      If this works it will be great, just need to take a lot of measurements first.
      2000 Grand Am GT
      2011 Chevy Impala

      "The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

      Comment

      • ericjon262
        build it.
        • Jan 2010
        • 2218

        #18
        I haven't yet, to be honest, it's low on the priority list, pushrod length would probably change a little, might be able to get away with stockers, don't know. I'll try to do it tomorrow.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

        Comment

        • ericjon262
          build it.
          • Jan 2010
          • 2218

          #19
          I went out and test fitted them, looks like a go, probably need new pushrods, when I installed one on the exhaust, there was a little play. I'll post pics tonight. FWIW, I'm going to try to pick a set up and run them.
          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

          Comment

          • ericjon262
            build it.
            • Jan 2010
            • 2218

            #20
            installed a rocker on my LX9 3500, and it bolts on no problem with the LX9 pedestal swapped on. I didn't turn the engine over to see how the work through the lift curve, when I get the new engine back from the machine shop, I'll do a more thorough check.

            a proper install will likely need new pushrods, and I would recommend valvesprings too as the 3x00 springs suck... On the exhaust valve I installed the rocker on, there was a very noticeable amount of play, over .060". this could work out to be a very cheap and easy mod for the 3x00 engines.











            Last edited by ericjon262; 04-08-2013, 01:45 AM.
            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

            Comment

            • caffeine
              • Jan 2012
              • 1489

              #21
              Would be sweet if this works. Lighter valve train and extra lift what's not to like!
              '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

              Comment

              • ericjon262
                build it.
                • Jan 2010
                • 2218

                #22
                Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                Would be sweet if this works. Lighter valve train and extra lift what's not to like!
                I'll keep the thread updated, right now, I'm wondering is the pedestal will have clearance for the cam I have, may need to be ground down a bit, but that's no big deal. I need to find a clean set, or a new set though, the LZ4 I got this rocker off of, was trashed, poor car had parts thrown in every direction, including the dirt, which is of coarse, where all the rockers were...
                "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

                Comment

                • onefastV6
                  • Sep 2005
                  • 880

                  #23
                  Sounds like you need an adjustable pushrod to determine proper pushrod length. I would then turn the engine over by hand to check the rocker/ valvestem contact throught its full range of motion.

                  You shouldn't need to mess with the pedestal for a cam swap, just get the proper pushrods.
                  2000 Grand Am GT
                  2011 Chevy Impala

                  "The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

                  Comment

                  • ericjon262
                    build it.
                    • Jan 2010
                    • 2218

                    #24
                    at max lift the rocker might possibly contact the pedestal, the LZ4 pedestal is machined for greater clearance where the contact might occur.
                    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

                    Comment

                    • 3400-95-Modified
                      The Pink Car
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 4375

                      #25
                      I have a full set of rockers in route to me... so I'll be checking this on my engine too... Might be a bit nuts for my setup though but we'll see. I'll definitely have to check for piston/valve contact now since I had a tiny bit a few years ago with a badly stretched chain.

                      Got Lope?
                      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

                      Comment

                      • ericjon262
                        build it.
                        • Jan 2010
                        • 2218

                        #26
                        sweet! keep us posted!

                        Edit:

                        where did you get them, and how much did they cost?
                        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

                        Comment

                        • 3400-95-Modified
                          The Pink Car
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 4375

                          #27
                          $30 shipped from ebay... LOL

                          http://www.ebay.com/itm/150991308580...S:3160&vxp=mtr

                          going by application guides those should be the same as the ones you grabbed since the LZ4 is based on the 3.9L VVT

                          Got Lope?
                          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

                          Comment

                          • ericjon262
                            build it.
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 2218

                            #28
                            Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                            $30 shipped from ebay... LOL

                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/150991308580...S:3160&vxp=mtr

                            going by application guides those should be the same as the ones you grabbed since the LZ4 is based on the 3.9L VVT
                            GM parts giant wants $18.79 each... you got a deal if they're clean and not full of dirt...

                            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

                            Comment

                            • 3400-95-Modified
                              The Pink Car
                              • Dec 2005
                              • 4375

                              #29
                              Returns accepted and they said they are inspected to be quality used parts... so they better not be full of dirt... LOL if they are I can just clean them out too, that's not the end of the world.

                              Got Lope?
                              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

                              Comment

                              • SappySE107
                                WOT-Tech
                                • Oct 2003
                                • 13525

                                #30
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	17rocker (Medium).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	377451

                                Roughly .700 lift max on stock rocker. Roughly .540 max lift with 3900 rocker. Geometry on the valve tip at .540 is why we didn't move forward with making these work. Its already on that edge with very little lift. Interestingly enough, the 3400 rocker on a 3900 has the best geometry of all the combinations. Starts on the inside edge and is dead center for everything else.
                                Ben
                                60DegreeV6.com
                                WOT-Tech.com

                                Comment

                                Working...