3.6 dohc cam specs...somethings not adding up here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.6 dohc cam specs...somethings not adding up here

ok i was just playing around and trying to figure out what they are doing with the cams in the ly7. and its not adding up right at all! heres what they have listed in the gm spec sheet
    • Camshaft Timing @ 0.15 mm (0.0059 in) Lift
    • Valve Opens - Exhaust

-229 degrees BTDC
    • Valve Opens - Intake
    14 degrees
    ATDC
    • Centerline - Exhaust

111 degrees ATDC
    • Centerline - Intake

132 degrees ATDC
    • Valve Closes - Exhaust
    9 degrees
    ATDC
    • Valve Closes - Intake

251 degrees ATDC

now how do i get from there to, duration at .050, intake centerline and lsa?
    i did the math the old way, and its waaaayyy off. so i tried an online calculator, wayyyy off and entirely diff numbers this time.

whats the deal?
    3500, 1280 cam and PR, ls6 valve springs, port and polished heads, ported lim, ported uim, 4.3 70mm tb, ported trueleo headers and y pipe ALL FOR SALE (minus the car)
    96 LT4 6spd corvette. 355, AI 215cc LT4 Comp CNC Heads, Prope SRS pistons, Ported intake, ARH long tubes, Corsa Indy Pace 4:10 gears
    2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo 6spd
    1970 M35A2 Deuce and a Half, Spin on filters, Turned up IP, HIDs, Flat Black, 11.00x20 singles.

Just a thought, but could the VARIABLE TIMING have something to do with it?
    Taylor
    1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
    1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
    1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
    "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

ha, yes it could. very. im going to have to draw this out to get it right.

damn so much work just to know something
      3500, 1280 cam and PR, ls6 valve springs, port and polished heads, ported lim, ported uim, 4.3 70mm tb, ported trueleo headers and y pipe ALL FOR SALE (minus the car)
      96 LT4 6spd corvette. 355, AI 215cc LT4 Comp CNC Heads, Prope SRS pistons, Ported intake, ARH long tubes, Corsa Indy Pace 4:10 gears
      1970 M35A2 Deuce and a Half, Spin on filters, Turned up IP, HIDs, Flat Black, 11.00x20 singles.

Comment

Sombody should make VVT gears for the lq1... That would be awesome. That could totally make great hp/tq through the entire powerband. We could also raise the redline

-GREEN 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - L82/5spd MTX +
        -White 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 97 207DOHC/6SPD MTX +

Comment

Its call a 3.6 DOHC. I just saved someone a ton of cash on R&D for the VVT 3.4 concept.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I would like a 3.6 but finding one is the hard part. Plus all the modding I would have to do to put it into my W. How does VVT work anyway?? how do the gears know when to adjust?

-GREEN 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - L82/5spd MTX +
            -White 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 97 207DOHC/6SPD MTX +

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
              Its call a 3.6 DOHC. I just saved someone a ton of cash on R&D for the VVT 3.4 concept.
              lmfao.

Comment

Originally posted by gpchris View Post
                I would like a 3.6 but finding one is the hard part. Plus all the modding I would have to do to put it into my W. How does VVT work anyway?? how do the gears know when to adjust?
                Not sure if its the same thing but on Honda's Vtec i know (or so i have been told) the larger lobe is locked in by a Pin when the engine reaches a cretin rpm the ECU uses oil pressure to lock in the pin to use the larger lobes... dunno if its the same on the GM's.. Or i could be completely wrong..

S
                Shane "RedZMonte"
                2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by merlot566jka View Post
                  ok i was just playing around and trying to figure out what they are doing with the cams in the ly7. and its not adding up right at all! heres what they have listed in the gm spec sheet
                  • Camshaft Timing @ 0.15 mm (0.0059 in) Lift
                  • Valve Opens - Exhaust

-229 degrees BTDC
                  • Valve Opens - Intake
                  14 degrees
                  ATDC
                  • Centerline - Exhaust

111 degrees ATDC
                  • Centerline - Intake

132 degrees ATDC
                  • Valve Closes - Exhaust
                  9 degrees
                  ATDC
                  • Valve Closes - Intake

251 degrees ATDC

now how do i get from there to, duration at .050, intake centerline and lsa?
                  i did the math the old way, and its waaaayyy off. so i tried an online calculator, wayyyy off and entirely diff numbers this time.

whats the deal?

The way that you have it layed out is confusing as hell. How about this:

Exhaust
                  Open: 229 BTDC
                  Close: 9 ATDC
                  Duration: 229 + 9 = 238
                  Centerline: 238 / 2 = 119 - 9 = 110 BTDC

Intake
                  Open: 14 ATDC
                  Close: 251 ATDC
                  Duration: 251 - 14 = 237
                  Centerline: 237 / 2 = 118.5 + 14 = 132.5 ATDC

LSA = (110 + 132.5) / 2 = 121.25

Measuring at .050 will change the duration and open and close events but it should not change the LSA or the centerline unless they are using some lopsided cams.

This engine does have variable timing so the centerlines can move which will change the LSA. I would assume that they would move the lobes closer at the higher rpms to get more overlap and seperate them at low speeds for a good idle and higher torque. I don't think they would put the entire range into those numbers. My guess based on the LSA is those are the numbers for idle and low rpms. "Street" cams have a LSA usually between 104-118. Since this engine has vvt, they can get away with 121. If it was fixed at 121, that engine would have no high rpm power.

Comment

thank you. i feel stupid. but that makes perfect sense. i was thinking in a box

Comment

Originally posted by RedZMonte View Post
                      Not sure if its the same thing but on Honda's Vtec i know (or so i have been told) the larger lobe is locked in by a Pin when the engine reaches a cretin rpm the ECU uses oil pressure to lock in the pin to use the larger lobes... dunno if its the same on the GM's.. Or i could be completely wrong..

S
                      thats how honda does vtec. thats not how gm does it on the 3.6dohc. they actually retard or advance the cams relative to the crank. its more like varible cam phasing, and its varible valve timing (perse). when you advance or retard the cam, your changing the valve timing events. honda actually changes lift and duration of the cam. while gm only changes when and where(in time) the valves open. now combine the two...woah.

Comment

Working...
                      X