Turbo Grand Prix 3500 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Grand Prix 3500 swap

The time has come. I just bought an LX9 with 87k miles for $200. I am fully aware of all of the challenges that will come with swapping this motor. So I am going to start with the most obvious and maybe most difficult one; the CPS. I know about the ECT from wot-tech but I want to avoid spending that $150 bucks and they're out of stock anyway. I was wondering if the crank pulleys were interchangeable. It would make my life a lot easier if I could swap the crank sensor and the crank pulley.

Thanks!

1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix 3500 swap GT3076R turbo 40lb/hr injectors FMIC LX9 coils Megasquirt2 v3.0

the reluctor on the balancer is the 24X, which is the one you wouldn't need running on $8F.

up until the 3500, the 3x00s had a 7X reluctor inside the block on the crank, and the 24X on the balancer. i believe(me being a 3500 noob) the 3500 still has the 24X on the balancer(or maybe it's gone entirely?), but the internal reluctor changed to a 58X(?). i believe there have been a few people that have had the 58X removed and the 7X pressed on in place of it, but that requires tearing apart the motor.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

it dosent have the 24x on the balancer. you have to use a 3100,3400 balancer and sensor so you can have 24x
      Mike 60degree addict.
      Beretta 96 3500 - 14.981@ 93.32
      sigpic
      65MM thorttle body, Crank trigger 97 venture ECM and Dhp powrTuner

Comment

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I know that the LX9 crank pulley and CPS won't work on the LG5 harness and computer. What I want to know is if I can take the CPS and crank pulley off of the LG5 and put it on the LX9.

1990 ASC/McLaren Turbo Grand Prix 3500 swap GT3076R turbo 40lb/hr injectors FMIC LX9 coils Megasquirt2 v3.0

Comment

.... jon, the LG5 doesn't have a reluctor wheel in the balancer like the later SFI motors, just the internal 7X ring on the crank.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Isn't there 7x and 24x on the balancer of a 3100? I could have swore that there was. Maybe Im thinking of the evil 90*

So I am SOL unless I can get a hold of a ECT. Which are currently out of stock at wot-tech

Comment

on a 3x00 balancer, just the 24X reluctor. and yes, the 90s have a dual pattern one in their balancer, and no i don't know if you could use it or not.
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

I am seriously considering building a megasquirt. I have build a MS2 and helped to install it into a camaro. I see there now is a MS3. Has anybody used an MS3? I can see a lot of upgrades such as Sequential FI and usb interface.

I might just stick with a MS2 though since I'm familiar with it and its a lot cheaper. MS2 is about $250 and MS3 is $370

Comment

I will see how long I am going to be out of the triggers. Might be next week if TCE has some still.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Go to work pulling out the LG5. Hope to have it out by tomorrow before the new engine arrives.

What do you think about the intercooler? Good spot?

Comment

Good spot for the intercooler only if it will not be behind the radiator or A/C condenser. The more compact bar and plate options will likely be more efficient and maneuverable as well as easier to upgrade without having to change much else if anything.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                          I will see how long I am going to be out of the triggers. Might be next week if TCE has some still.
                          Any news?

Comment

Should have some next week along with some other parts.
                            Ben
                            60DegreeV6.com
                            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

For simplicity sake, I had considered putting the original LIM/UIM on the 3500. I am aware of the terrible restriction this will make. I am also pretty sure that I'll have to grind the LIM to make room for the roller rockers. You can see in the pictures I put the LG5 LIM gasket on the 3500 to see if it would seal, and it does. While I'm grinding, Ill try to match the LIM to the 3500 heads as well as I can.
                              I think in the short run this will be better because I'll be able to get the car back on the road quicker, which is important because my 96 is going to be sold in about 3 weeks. And I will always have the 3500 intake to swap back on when the time is right. I still have to buy a turbo!
                              Ideas or comments on this?

Comment

Working...
                              X