No announcement yet.

Six_Shooter's money pit and time vampire... v.240Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The RWD 60 degree V6 starter pocket and the truck FS5R30A starter pockets almost exactly line up. However I am using the FWD 60 degree V6 starter location, which is on the other side of the engine.

Sure go for it. I prefer the FS5R30A over the T5 any day, actually I prefer the 71B over the T5 as well, and had originally wanted to use that trans since it was already in my car, but the flywheel I needed for depth reasons ended up not fitting inside the 71B's bellhousing, so I had to move up my plans for the 5R30A install, at the time.

You can get away with the use of an adpter plate, that's how my engine and trans are currently mated, but I would spend more time getting it right than I did, and add some dowel pins to the adapter plate. I'm just using the bolts to locate the trans. I was never entirely happy with how the adpater plate I made turned out and had wanted to build a new bellhousing from the start, but I just couldn't figure out a nice way to get everything mated and lined up. My original idea is very different from what I'm doing here and will re-visit that idea after I'm done this one and get it in the car.

AdapterPlate01.jpg

Comment

• Nice work. Man the car looks good in that first photo. Mine looks good in the shade or the dark too.
      95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
      High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
      Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

• Time for an update.

I have finished modifying the bellhousing.

I found when I went to test fit on a spare block that still had a crank installed and could attach a flywheel to that I needed to clearance the bellhousing opening a bit. I was hoping I could get away without doing so.

A bit of grinding and it's all good.
        FlywheelClerance01.jpg

test fitting on a spare block:
        TestFitting02.jpg

More test fitting:
        TestFitting01.jpg

Uh oh... That's a bit close between the clutch disc spline and the Throwout bearing support, which I was thinking might be an issue due to measuring after the welding was finished showed that I was about 2mm shorter than I would have liked.
        TestFitting03.jpg

So to build a spacer... which is also the dust cover, in a very similar fashion to what Nissan did originally.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2015, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• Spacer.. the final frontier... or how I moved the world

I had originally wanted to use 14 gauge, since this was JUST under 2mm thick. All I could find locally without waiting for it was 12 gauge, so I went with the 12, a little more space won't hurt anything here.

Pattern laid out:
          SpacerShim01.jpg

Test fitting on spare empty block:
          SpacerShim03.jpg

SpacerShim02.jpg

SpacerShim04.jpg

test fitting on spare full block:
          SpacerShim05.jpg

Hmm, only 2mm between the flywheel and the spacer plate, looks like I need to open it up some.
          SpacerShim06.jpg

I cut out the entire diameter of the flywheel, actually a little larger, and then made a lower filler plate to act as a dust shield.
          SpacerShim07.jpg

All welded up, I welded the entire seams to hopefully keep any dirt and moisture out from between the plates.
          SpacerShim08.jpg
          SpacerShim09.jpg
          Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2015, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• More trans work.

I have painted the spacer shim. The observant of you will have already noticed that there is no starter hole. I will add this when I actually swap the clutch in, so that I can get it pretty exact. I don't have a spare starter kicking around to use on a spare block for this right now.
            SpacerShim10.jpg

I then put the trans back together tonight... FINALLY. I've been wanting to get to this for over a week now, but with school and exams I just couldn't find the time. It's finally ready to install.

On the bench still separated...
            Reassembly02.jpg

Sliding the bellhousing onto the trans:
            Reassembly03.jpg

Reassembly04.jpg

Reconnected... still needed to add the front cover in this picture and a couple small parts to the exterior, but otherwise complete.
            Reassembly05.jpg

Now just to find the time to actually get it into the car...

Comment

• Well, I FINALLY got this transmission and new clutch in the car. SOOOO much better than the old trans. It's actually smooth again. Though I think some of the things I found loose might have contributed to the vibrations I was getting.

The clutch is almost a switch, it's VERY grabby and takes a bit to get used to, but seems to work well.

Comment

• Nice!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
                '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
                '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• Well, I've been driving the car for a couple days now with the new clutch and I'm starting to get used to the engagement of the clutch. I can nearly pull away smoothly like a near stock clutch, but it's not a slow accel.

Some pictures of the trans and install:

Old trans on the floor in just under an hour.
                  Trans01.jpg

I think the CFDF got a bit warm. lol
                  CFDF01.jpg

Spacer/shim for the new trans
                  SpacerShim11.jpg

Just checking the spine is correct before install
                  Trans02.jpg

6 puck goodness
                  6Puck02.jpg

Yellow makes it go faster.
                  ACT01.jpg

Just a few shots after the new trans is installed. It slid in better than any trans I have ever done. once I got the input spline lined up with the clutch disc it slid straight up to the block, no wiggling, no messing around, straight to the block. I wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't witnessed it myself.
                  Trans03.jpg

Trans05.jpg

Trans04.jpg

Comment

• Awesome! Keep up the good work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple pit View Post
                      Awesome! Keep up the good work.
                      Thanks.

I will. Unfortunately some of that white crap from the sky fell on the ground here last night, so it's really time to put the car away. I'll likely drive it a few more times before the white stuff accumulates, but there will definitely be no new track times until spring.

Comment

• None of that here yet, now the rain has started so the snow is not far away. Yeah it's the end of the car work season.

Comment

• So a little bit of an update...

So this happened just after leaving school on Tuesday afternoon:
                          Failure01.jpg

Yeah, the block and oil pan shouldn't look like that
                          Failure02.jpg

I'll post up high res pictures when I get a chance to get them off the camera.

The carnage is pretty good. hahaha

Comment

• uploadfromtaptalk1449809779725.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                            '86 Grand National

Comment

• Originally posted by 34blazer View Post
                              [ATTACH]8745[/ATTACH]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                              I blow'd it up realll good. lol

Comment

• Carnage Pictures...

Failure03.jpg

Failure04.jpg

Failure05.jpg

Failure06.jpg

I found bits of the piston ring land in the lifter valley
                                Failure07.jpg

You know it's bad, when you hear "tink", "clink", etc when you roll the engine over on the stand to pull the pan off. lol
                                Failure08.jpg

Failure09.jpg

That rounded piece is part of the piston ring land, found right where it is shown in the picture. Somehow top parts of the piston made it into the bottom end!
                                Failure10.jpg

Failure11.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X