No announcement yet.

89 Firebird Turbo 3500 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't there a diode on one side of the coil? I believe there is.

Even though it appears the same spark on 5 and 2, one is flowing towards the coil and the other is flowing away. I really can't be sure if the coils you/we use have such a diode. I don't see why not, the current is always going to flow one direction opposed to the trigger current discharging. And I know the ICM circuits don't flip the current back and forth......

Wasted+Spark+Distribution.png

This might have something to do with this quagmire spark thing. Maybe a ground loop is occuring somewhere. They can be known to cause some funky issues in electronics.
    Last edited by TGP37; 02-05-2013, 10:32 PM.
    1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• i don't think there is a diode in the GM DIS coilpacks... i've never tested it as such though.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

• I never thought much about this until now, strange to think our plugs fire in opposite polarity. At least as far as I can tell (in theory) they do.

Hope you figure this out caffeine.
        1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

• they indeed fire that way. a lot of Fords did as well, they kind of ghetto'd it though... once they started using platinum plugs, they only put the platinum on one side... on one bank it was on the ground strap, on the other, it was on the center electrode... had to do with the direction the current flowed, but i can't remember which. GM just put it on both sides.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

• That would have someone heck of a diode to stand that kind of energy.

Easy enough to check. Resistance test the towers both ways. If you only get a reading one way there is a diode, get a reading both ways and there is no diode.

I've never bothered with polarity with coils, so I would imagine there is no diode.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

• Well I swapped out the spark plugs with NGK tr55s and #5 now seems to spark consistently. However, it runs great when cold but once starting to warm up it will sputter and stall. What could cause this?
              '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• is it acting up when it drops into closed loop?
                Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

• Closed loop is disabled for now
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• got a log of it happening?
                    Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

• I will
                      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• LX9 Bins.zip

Here are a couple bins I tried today and a few logs as well. I also included a modified adx that shows what my wideband is reading.

When the motor stalls, it seems to stall like the key was turned off. Sometimes it's idling fine and then with no warning just stalls. I'm still pretty convinced it's spark related because when the exhaust pops the wideband dips lean, then rich, then back to normal.

Here's a video that shows how the exhaust pops.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdoJXFJAAHQ

Also keep in mind there's been no boost yet.
                        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

• Originally posted by caffeine View Post
                          [ATTACH]7315[/ATTACH]

Here are a couple bins I tried today and a few logs as well. I also included a modified adx that shows what my wideband is reading.

When the motor stalls, it seems to stall like the key was turned off. Sometimes it's idling fine and then with no warning just stalls. I'm still pretty convinced it's spark related because when the exhaust pops the wideband dips lean, then rich, then back to normal.

Here's a video that shows how the exhaust pops.
                          3500T Running on nAst1, still misfiring here and there but tune is getting better at least.

Also keep in mind there's been no boost yet.
                          Tiny Tuner and HP Tuner can not open the PCM files, corrupted.

I would consider the PCM tunes as the problem at this time. It would make sense why it is restricted to cyl#5 and swapping coils, plugs, cables, ICM, etc.

Did you flash a different file to the PCM other then the original file? Or the PCM has a damaged component.

I didn't view the logs.

Rob and PRocket, I bet the platinum on one side of the spark plug might be the reason why our motors do not like some plugs, ie bosch. Half of the plugs will fail early.
                          Last edited by TGP37; 02-07-2013, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                            Tiny Tuner and HP Tuner can not open the PCM files, corrupted.
                            He's running nAst1, so he's on OBD1.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

• Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                              He's running nAst1, so he's on OBD1.

lol, duh, I knew that. A little early in the morning for me I guess.

That's what happens when ALL my experience is OBD2 based. I never messed with OBD1. Though I considered it once for the turbo.

Comment

• Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
                                lol, duh, I knew that. A little early in the morning for me I guess.
                                I had been up for just over 4 hours at that point, lol. Posted that at break time half way through my work day
                                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                                X