Worth Swaping 3400 heads onto 3100 block???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • GPTuner
    • Dec 2005
    • 54

    #1

    Worth Swaping 3400 heads onto 3100 block???

    First of all, whats up guys, This is my first post on here so you can all just call me NEW-B for a while haha

    My main question is....well is there a difference in flow chart numbers between the 3400 and the 3100??? since the difference between the two motors 5 HP im wondering if it's even worth the trouble. Would I see any gains?? Or will it not do much of anything.


    Also i plau to swap the 3400 TB and upper intake onto the 3100, since i will have those off i was wondering if i would see anything more with the 3400 heads????

    Thanks in advance guys
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=14262310
  • Manitcor
    • Oct 2003
    • 573

    #2
    the difference is actually more like 20hp for the 99 and earlier 3100s and less for the 00 and better.

    For the work involved I would just swap the entire engine since a low mile 3400 can be had pretty cheaply.

    1995 Monte Carlo LS
    3400 SFI 60v6
    FFP Underdrive Pulley, S&S Headers, LSD, ODBII Swap, DHP

    Comment

    • SappySE107
      WOT-Tech
      • Oct 2003
      • 13525

      #3
      what year are we talking about? There is quite a difference in casting quality between years. The non roller castings are pretty bad. I haven't flowed the head yet but as soon as I am doing trying to flowmatch this last exhaust port I will throw the 95 3100 head on the bench and see how it looks. Aside from a single cylinder, I am guessing from the looks of it that the flow will be pretty difference between ports.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

      Comment

      • GPTuner
        • Dec 2005
        • 54

        #4
        Its a 2000, 3100 and these parts are from a seized 3400 same year motor.

        I know they will bolt right up, ive fitted a new headgasket for the 3100 onto this 3400 and all the holes line up perfectly. but i havent pulled my heads off just yet, to do a comparison, and take measurements on the intake, valves, and exaust ports
        http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=14262310

        Comment

        • Manitcor
          • Oct 2003
          • 573

          #5
          wont matter for you then, IIRC the topend on an 00+ 3100 and an 00+ 3400 are identical.

          1995 Monte Carlo LS
          3400 SFI 60v6
          FFP Underdrive Pulley, S&S Headers, LSD, ODBII Swap, DHP

          Comment

          • GPTuner
            • Dec 2005
            • 54

            #6
            Damn I was kinda hoping they would be somewhat larger....oh well, i guess i'll just gasket match everything insted, thanks guys
            http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=14262310

            Comment

            • SappySE107
              WOT-Tech
              • Oct 2003
              • 13525

              #7
              Yup, identical. If you pull the heads, check the casting number on them for me.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

              Comment

              • GPTuner
                • Dec 2005
                • 54

                #8
                no problem
                http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=14262310

                Comment

                • Syn
                  The Master Piece
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 599

                  #9
                  got the 3400 intakes?
                  sigpic

                  1993 Cavalier Z24, 3.1/3400 hybrid, crane 272 cam, LS6 springs,port and polish,2.5 exhaust to 80 series flowmaster,solid mounts

                  Comment

                  • GPTuner
                    • Dec 2005
                    • 54

                    #10
                    I have the whole 3400 motor, the botom end seized, so im trying to make good use of the whole top end lower and upper intake manifold, heads, TB, anything i can swap over, that will make a difference

                    I havent gotten around to any of this yet, im waiting for the weather to be a bit less crappy so the motor sits in a garage full of crap till i can get around to it, while i work on my GTP
                    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=14262310

                    Comment

                    Working...